Welcome to part one of my Tarot series blog!! I get asked so many questions about Tarot and Tarot readings i thought it was a good time to answer some of the most common threads that weave through people's messages time and time again!!
Today i look at unethical Tarot reader, both online and in person readings. This one comes up time and time again as i get messages from people who have just received a reading from someone or have just come home from a reading and they are either upset, confused or just feel something is not right.
Today Tarot readings have become big easy money for some unscrupulous people! With it now more acceptable than ever for people from all backgrounds and all religions to have readings without it raising an eyebrow (a great thing by the way!) some have seen this as a way to take advantage of people.
Here are my top tips to know when something is not right and what to look out for.......
1. If your reader starts talking about how you are cursed, have been hexed, have evil spirits attached to you and you need their help!!! This is a big warning sign you have accidently stumbled upon a less than ethical reader. This often causes people a lot of distress which is never a true reader's goal Its unethical, filled with lies and will usually be followed up by point two below.
2. To get rid of said curse, hex or spirit for a very reasonable fee they can cast a spell, exorcism, provide you with a magic charm or other trinket to fix the problem. The above and this point are the biggest scam going round in tarot reading at the moment. These readers are in fact readers but not the type you were after!! They have learnt like any other scam artist to see vulnerability in people and pick on those people who they see the most potential to scare and earn extra money from and this is usually a large sum of money at that!!!!
Not to be confused with readers who if relevant might offer advice on how to advance your spiritual practice if thats what the reading is in reference to by suggesting setting up an altar or creating ritual or working on healing your past. These readers do not try to sell you something saying buy this from me buy that etc!
3. Repeat visits or readings!! Another unethical practice rearing its ugly head is....i see this problem or blockage and you need to do this work then we can look at this together with weekly, every two week readings for the next couple of months! Your reader should be concentrating on the reading you have paid for not trying to sell you future readings!
4. Although this could come under 1/2 its often used on its own as a less obvious and in your face scam. You or a family member is in danger but do not fear because they can sort you out protection (for a FEE) before you leave that day or after you receive the digital reading. This could be supposed energy work, a charm or even a few words said by them in a supposedly mystical way!
Although to some of us this may all seem a little funny and the thought may cross your mind who would fall for that. The truth is many people, through no fault of their own, other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time are vulnerable. Think about it, when do many of us get readings? When someone has passed away, when a relationship has failed, when emotional issues are getting on top of you maybe. All times when you come to your reader hoping for a little clarity and guidance while being in a vulnerable position.
As a reader i take trust very seriously, i don't even discuss my readings with my family as i see that as a breach of confidence. I've been reading cards for 20 years and reading online for 10 and a feel honoured when someone comes to me and put their trust in me. I find it heart breaking when i receive emails from people frantic because they have a 'curse' and they can't afford the readers fee to remove it!
What to do if you get a reading like this..............
1. If you are in person with the reader then you can say to the reader you don't want to hear anything about that and can they please get back to the area you asked to be focused on.
2. You can get up and leave at any time! Sometime people forget they are under no obligation to stay and are not being held prisoner. If a reader is upsetting you or saying highly unsettling things about curses and spirits just thank them for their time and leave.
3. Don't let them get into your head! As hard as it may be especially if you have gone into your reading feeling vulnerable remind yourself this is not what a reading should be and this is just a bad experience then go home smudge it off and try to forget about it!
I often get asked about if they should have argued for their money back. Readings both online and in person are required by law to sell readings for entertainment purposes only. As they are entertainment and no physical item is exchanged you are not protected by any refunds policy or protection. If you do fall foul of a unethical reader then sadly the money lost is just going to be put down as a learning experience.
Don't forget though there are plenty of legitimate readers out there both online and in person. Look for someone with experience! Ask any questions you have before booking your reading as this will give you an idea of the person, how open they are to questions and if you like the feel of that reader.